How do I join Team BfB?
You can join an existing team, or start your own by clicking the green “Register” button above or choose “Join” from the Team BFB drop-down in the pink Nav Bar above. To join Team The Babe is Back – our national “virtual” team — select The Babe is Back from the roster of existing teams. You will then be directed to customize a fundraising page to share your passion, goals and journey with friends and family members!
What is the minimum fundraising commitment to participate on Team BFB?
Each individual member commits to raising $200 per personal fitness challenge in tax-deductible donations. If a family wishes to register together, the fundraising minimum is $300 per family. Note: A family is no more than 2 adults in the same household and an unlimited number of children under the age of 21.
Are donations to Team BFB tax-deductible?
Yes. Best for Babes is 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization as designated by the Internal Revenue Service. Contributions are tax deductible to the extent provided by law. Donors receive an automatically generated letter from Best for Babes for their tax records.
Where does the money go and for what?
Your donation directly supports our groundbreaking programs, campaigns, and events, aimed at changing the way America views and supports breastfeeding and human milk, & helps moms to navigate and overcome the Booby Traps! For example:
$50 a month pays for the voice mail system for our Nursing-in-Public Harassment Hotline, which provides moms who have experienced breastfeeding harassment with a vital resource, documents incidents, coalesces existing efforts, and puts pressure on businesses and societies to change
$100 pays for a presentation to a business or corporation who has been reported to our Hotline and seeks to become more breastfeeding-friendly
$500 a month helps us reach more moms with evidence-based information than any other breastfeeding non-profit through our Campaign to Beat the Booby Traps® which includes our Booby Trap Blog Series, our Science You Can Use column, and our Celebrity Champions for Moms (and Interviews) column.
$1500 a year pays for our website to remain a Trusted Gateway to Resources, News and Education and a Voice for Moms in the Mainstream Press –for free.
For more about how Best for Babes is acting as a catalyst to change the 360 degree world around moms and babies click here.
Can I customize my Team and Personal Profile page(s)? Of course, but consistent with Best for Babes’ credo, make sure that it’s nonjudgmental, positive and supportive of ALL moms whatever they decide about infant feeding. And feel free to choose a snazzy name – like Triangle Ta Tas or Operation Lactation Freedom (sorry, those are already taken).
Do you have any sample language and tips for fundraising and sharing on the profile pages?
Yes! Here are some guidelines:
1. Get personal: Why do you want to sweat for moms and babies? Were you and your baby or a mom and baby you know sabotaged, humiliated, given sub-optimal care and advice?On your profile page and in emails share why the mission of Team BFB of creating a more breastfeeding-friendly world around moms and babies speaks to you! Ex: “I am walking/running with Team BFB because I don’t want to see more mothers go through what I went through trying to breastfeed.”
2. State your Call to Action: Your story is set in the bigger picture of millions of moms each year who set out to breastfeed and who have an unnecessarily difficult experience, most of whom give up before they reach their goals and are robbed of an incomparable enriching experience and of the lifelong health benefits it confers on them and their babies and IT’S NOT THEIR FAULT. Team BFB is an opportunity to stand up for your own, or another mom’s and baby’s right to have good care, advice and 360 degree support for breastfeeding – the foundation of human health. Say it if you feel it!
3. Share your fundraising and training goals: Sharing how you’re faring keeps people close to you and engaged. Ex: “This is my first race since I had my baby six months ago and it’s my get-back-in-shape and give-back debut! By cheering for me, you’re cheering on all moms and babies! My goal is to follow a three-month training program which will have me running my 5k by September! My fundraising goal is also to raise $200 to help bring down the barriers to breastfeeding that prevent so many moms from succeeding. Donating to the Mother of All Causes will in turn help many causes focused on fighting for cures for other diseases because breastfeeding provides at least some protection for both mothers and babies for almost every major epidemic we face today!” Make sure you put in the link to your profile page @ http://teambfb.bestforbabes.org/2012/[your name] See this fantastic example of how to ask! http://teambfb.bestforbabes.org/2012/WGYBBCinci/Krista/
4. Post status updates on Social Media–Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, to let people know how you’re doing. And be sure to add your personal page URL.
5. Consider jump starting giving by making an $18 donation to yourself on your personal page — why $18? Because it’s good luck!
6. Thank your donors with a gracious note! We will thank them automatically too, and provide a tax-deduction letter they can submit to the IRS.
What rewards and goodies do I get for participating? In addition to the satisfaction that comes from knowing you are helping grow the Mother of All Causes and make America more breastfeeding-friendly by supporting Best for Babes, everyone who raises at least $200 is entitled to a specially designed Finisher Tech Shirt. Currently the shirt is The Miracle Isn’t the Bra — it’s Mommas and the Miracle Milk they make, donate use or appreciate! In addition, Babes who raise more than the minimum will be eligible for additional Awards from Best for Babes’ generous Alliance members. We also will throw in some additional awards for all participants throughout the year just because :). Awards opportunities are announced on FB /teambestforbabes.
What if I don’t raise the prescribed minimum? In most cases, we will not hold you accountable for any shortfall. (Please see exceptions for organized race participants below). However, you will not receive the Finisher Tech Shirt or the unparalleled feeling that you could leap tall buildings in a single bound, knowing that you blazed a new trail on the “fitness for a cause” highway in the name of breastfeeding!
How do I get my Finisher Tech-Shirt? Please email us @ email@example.com to let us know that you have met your fundraising goal! We will get your Finisher Tech-Shirt to either you or your Team Leader.
What if I want to wear my shirt to my challenge? If you want to wear the shirt during your event, you need to complete your fundraising goal and give us at least 10 days notice so that we have time to mail it to you or your Team Leader. So please aim to complete your fundraising goal 10 days ahead of your event. Please email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you have met your goal, give us your tshirt size again, and include the date by which you need your shirt!
What is the role of the Team Leader? We intend for Team BFB to be a fun and fabulous program in an easy format! As a Team Leader, you will help recruit members for your team, manage logistics of team members to get them to and through the fitness challenge — including distribution of the Finisher Tech Shirts, apprising them of upcoming awards, coordinating details for attendance at a race IF you have chosen that as your fitness challenge, and keeping them motivated and on track to reach their fundraising and fitness goals. Organizing “training” sessions or regular workouts, is completely OPTIONAL – but really FUN J. Please review and accept the Team Leader responsibilities. Click here to view.
How does the Team Leader select a fitness challenge? As a Team Leader, your first job is to select the fitness challenge for your team. The type of challenge is up to you, but be sure to choose an event you think will resonate with your community and engender support. We’ve included some fun examples below. If you choose an organized event – run/walk, ride, etc., we encourage you to get in touch with the Race Directors to see whether they are willing to reserve a block of entries at a reduced rate since we are a charitable team. NOTE: Any race entry fees are to be paid by the participants, unless the race requires BFB to pay for a block of fees up front. Please see Special Rules below for Organized Races. Contact us @ email@example.com, and we’ll be glad to help you navigate this
What are some ideas for fitness activities? Use this challenge as an opportunity to cross one off your bucket list – do your 1st 5k, have fun with friends on your first trail bike ride, or jump start a fitness habit –i.e., commit to practicing yoga 3x a week for three months! We suggested a walk, bike, golf, run, or swim, but there’s also bowling, sailing,Tae Kwon Do, rollerblading, whatever!
Where can I go to get more information about upcoming Awards, other teams’ challenges, and heaps of inspiration from Team Leaders, members and BFB Champions for Moms? Ask your Team Leader or head over to Facebook.com/teambestforbabes.
Special Rules for Organized and Popular Races:
Choosing an Organized Race: You can choose just about any race that has open registration (i.e, 5k, 10k, Half or Full Marathon)–even ones that have a charity beneficiary already designated, i.e., Race for the Cure. If you are choosing it as a team, we have found that many races will offer a discount and/or reserve a “block” of entries (because BFB is a 501(c)(3)). If you are unsure about how to select a race or go about inquiring about a charity block/discount, contact our Team Leader Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entry Fee to be Paid by Team Members for Races with Entry Fees: All team members will be responsible for purchasing their own entry fee to an organized race, unless a block is purchased by BFB in advance. See next item. This is in addition to the fundraising minimum.
If Entry Fee is Paid by BFB: If the Race Director is willing to give a reduced rate/reserved block of entries with an upfront purchase, fantastic! BFB may outlay the fees, BUT we will require those funds be paid by each Team member in advance of the race. Payment will be made as a donation via the individual’s personal fundraising page. This is in addition to the fundraising minimum.
Higher Fundraising Commitment for Popular Major Races: In addition to the above, if the race is a major/popular half or full marathon, consistent with industry fundraising standards, the fundraising goal may be higher. Contact us and we’ll talk it through email@example.com.
Accountability for Full Fundraising Amount for Popular Major Races: If you choose a major popular race (i.e., half or full marathon), for which we have purchased spots in advance, you will be held accountable for raising the full amount. Otherwise, we are losing the opportunity to fill those spots with participants who are eager to get into a coveted race and raise money for the cause.
For more information about Team BfB, contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org