Who we are: Best for Babes is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and the only mainstream consumer-driven cause for healthy infant feeding. We are building a true cause the likes of March of Dimes, St. Judes and others to bring about a total sea change in the way our society views and supports breastfeeding and human milk by harnessing the power of moms, celebrities, companies, advertising, the media and the medical community to put pressure on the barriers — the Breastfeeding Booby Traps®– not moms!
We are primarily a volunteer organization. We are powered by two co founders, a few freelancers, a governing Board of Directors, an Advisory Board and a handful of volunteers — all of us donate the majority of our time. We rely exclusively on the generosity of our supporters and followers to help us do the groundbreaking work we do. See our Financial Statement for 2012-13.
What we do: We create social marketing campaigns, events and programs that educate the mainstream, change attitudes and behaviors, and expedite institutional and legal change. Think of it this way, the formula industry spends billions every year marketing formula feeding; Best for Babes is like the PR/marketing arm for the healthy infant feeding cause and markets breastfeeding, donor human milk, informed decision-making, empowered parents, ethical providers, organizations, solutions, resources and cultural acceptance . . . all in a way that the mainstream can embrace and assimilate so that everyone can reap the individual, societal, and environmental benefits of breastfeeding and human milk, the foundation of human health.
Where your dollars go: When you donate to Best for Babes, your dollars are going directly toward helping expecting and new moms & babies by supporting our capacity to run our educational, awareness-building, marketing and advocacy initiatives. It takes thousands of volunteer hours a year to bring these to the public! See our Financial Statement for 2012-13:
- A Trusted Gateway to Resources, News and Education: Since 2007, BFB has pioneered shifting the conversation away from putting pressure on moms to illuminating and eliminating the barriers. Our six-column blog creates, influences, and covers the most important news about breastfeeding and human milk, helping to cultivate cultural, legal and institutional change, e.g., our ground-breaking Booby Traps blog series and our Science you You Can Use column which digests and disseminates science news. We put the insider-scoop about breastfeeding directly into the hands of parents so they can make informed feeding-decisions and navigate and avoid the Booby Traps®, including providing information for moms who decide not to or can’t breastfeed about donor milk and formula ;
- Public Service Campaigns that Change the Game. Our Beat the Breastfeeding Booby Traps® campaign shifted the entire paradigm around breastfeeding from benefits to barriers. Our current Miracle Milk™Campaign and Stroll is raising awareness of the life-saving power of human milk in the NICU (and everyday) and is rallying the U.S. and Canada behind the foundation of human health. Our first Advertising Campaign – The Miracle Isn’t the Bra, et al., appeared full page in Fit Pregnancy, USA Today and Mom & Baby Magazine. The Miracle ad was included in the summer 2012 blockbuster hit What to Expect When You are Expecting starring Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez!
- Advocacy for breastfeeding and moms who experience discrimination, reprisal and humiliation for breastfeeding in public or at work. Our Nursing In Public Harassment Hotline – the first-of-its-kind – provides moms with a vital resource, documents incidents, coalesces existing efforts, and puts pressure on businesses and societies to change. 1-855-NIP-FREE. We reach more people than any other breastfeeding non-profit and are galvanizing a “babe army” to take action and demand an end to the bullying against breastfeeding moms. Thanks to our mainstream image, brand and appeal, and our social media following and media partnerships, our call to actions are heard, shared and taken up by millions of advocates. See our hub Take Action for more;
- First Celebrity Cabinet to Raise Awareness of the Breastfeeding Cause Celebrities can be hugely persuasive and influential at changing public opinion and lobbying for change at the legislative level. We are building the first cabinet to do both. Our Celebrity Breastfeeding Interviews are chock-full of info and resources and are read by millions, influencing the way people view and support breastfeeding, and educating expecting and new mothers. Our Celebrity Events are covered by major media and followed by millions. Our Cabinet is comprised of actors, Olympic Athletes and an NFL Player!;
- A Voice for Moms in the Mainstream Press: we keep the media focused on the evidence and the real story — moms are being Booby-Trapped and they need help!;
- First Consumer Seal/Reward Program to put Positive Pressure on Businesses to Protect Healthy Infant Feeding. Our C.A.R.E.-WHO Alliance gives mainstream media recognition to businesses that follow our CREDO and the International Code of the Fair Marketing of Infant Milk Substitutes. By doing so we are encouraging other businesses to get in line, driving consumer demand and spending toward those that deserve it, raising awareness in the mainstream of the Code, and providing a potential ethical source of funding for breastfeeding and health organizations to turn to as the Alliance grows;
- Opportunity for Strategic partnerships with other health/disease foundations and researchers to include breastfeeding and human milk in the PREVENTION Conversation, i.e, World Pneumonia Day, Breast Cancer Orgs, to raise awareness of breastfeeding as the preventative behavior/habit it is;
- Opportunities for Individuals Everywhere to Fuel this Cause: Team Best for Babes and it’s Spring and Fall Events: Team BfB is staking prevention while integrating breastfeeding, for the first time, into the mainstream cause awareness and the culturally accepted model for raising funds. BFB was an official charitable partner of the Marine Corps Marathon in 2012— unprecedented for a breastfeeding charity! Meanwhile, individuals continue to form their own teams to take on the Booby Traps, e.g., Team Operation LactationFreedom and their Special Dad Forces. Our Mother’s Day Weekend Miracle Milk™ Stroll and our Fall We’ve Got Your Back, Babe Personal Fitness Challenge Event put the power of change directly in the hands of community members and give them a goal-driven way to support the cause!
To read more about the groundbreaking work we do on behalf of moms and babies, click here.