Where the Money Goes
Your donations help us fund the fight for a booby-trap-free environment! Best for Babes is the first mainstream 501(c)(3)nonprofit to take Breastfeeding to the level of a Cause to get moms and babies the help they deserve to succeed. We are mostly volunteers and rely exclusively on the generosity of our supporters and followers!
The formula industry spends billions every year marketing formula feeding; Best for Babes markets breastfeeding, donor human milk, informed decision-making, empowered parents, ethical providers, organizations, solutions, resources and cultural acceptance . . . all in a way that the mainstream can embrace and assimilate. We are a major catalyst in creating the tipping point in breastfeeding to bring about increased breastfeeding rates and less suffering among moms and babies, so that everyone can reap the individual, societal, and environmental benefits of breastfeeding, the foundation of human health.
- A Trusted Gateway to Resources, News and Education: Since 2007, Best for Babes has pioneered shifting the conversation away from putting pressure on moms to putting pressure on the barriers. We put the insider-scoop about breastfeeding directly into the hands of parents so they can make an informed feeding-decision and navigate and avoid the Booby Traps (R), including information for moms who decide not to or can’t breastfeed about donor milk and formula. Our six-column blog creates, influences, and covers the most important news about breastfeeding and human milk, helping to cultivate cultural, legal and institutional change, e.g., our ground-breaking Booby Traps blog series and our Science you You Can Use column which digests and disseminates science news; n
- Advocacy and Action opportunities for breastfeeding and moms who experience discrimination, reprisal and humiliation for breastfeeding in the public realm or at work. We reach more people than any other breastfeeding non-profit and are galvanizing a “babe army” to take action and demand an end to the bullying against breastfeeding moms. Thanks to our mainstream image, brand and appeal, and our social media following and media partnerships, our call to actions are heard, shared and taken up by millions of advocates. Our Nursing In Public Harassment Hotline – the first-of-its-kind – provides moms with a vital resource, documents incidents, coalesces existing efforts, and puts pressure on businesses and societies to change. 1-855-NIP-FREE. See our hub Take Action for more;
- Influence the Influencers to Raise Awareness of the Breastfeeding Cause through our Celebrity Breastfeeding Interviews and Celebrity Events. Our celebrity interviews are chock-full of info and resources and are read by millions, influencing the way people view and support breastfeeding, and educating expecting and new mothers;
- Public Service Announcement (PSA) through our game-changing Advertising Campaign. Our Ads appeared in the summer 2012 blockbuster hit What to Expect When You are Expecting starring Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez!
- A Voice for Moms in the Mainstream Press: we keep the media focused on the evidence and the real story — moms are being Booby-Trapped and they need help!;
- Positive Pressure for Businesses and Physicians to do right by moms and babies! Our C.A.R.E.-WHO Alliance recognizes and rewards companies, stores, media, outreach groups and health-care providers that are truly breastfeeding-friendly;
- Strategic partnerships with other health/disease foundations and researchers, i.e, World Pneumonia Day, Breast Cancer Orgs, to raise awareness of breastfeeding as the preventative behavior/habit it is;
- Team Best for Babes: Racing to Beat the Booby Traps and Put Prevention First! Team BfB is staking prevention while integrating breastfeeding, for the first time, into the mainstream cause awareness and the culturally accepted model for raising funds. BFB was an official charitable partner of the Marine Corps Marathon in 2012— unprecedented for a breastfeeding charity! More charity partnerships are being sought for 2013 with women-focused race series and major marathons. Meanwhile, individuals continue to form their own teams to take on the Booby Traps, e.g., Team Operation LactationFreedom and their Special Dad Forces. We’re putting some real steel behind our run/walk/ride/tri participants too — World Class Cyclists and Olympic Marathoners are our newest Team BFB Champions for Moms. If I were a Booby Trap, I’d start running now!
To read more about the groundbreaking work we do on behalf of moms and babies, click here.