Target Employees Bully Breastfeeding Mom Despite Corporate Policy

Written by Bettina Forbes, CLC

Although Target issued a corporate statement supporting nursing mothers in 2006, apparently they are still falling short on efforts to educate employees about their policy.   (You may remember the incident in 2006 reported by thelactivist and the incident in 2009 reported by Crunchy Domestic Goddess.)

Yesterday, we received a phone call and an email from Michelle Hickman about her treatment in a Houston Target Store on November 29th. Michelle is organizing a nurse-in at the store for December 28th at 10 a.m.  For more information, join the Facebook group Michelle has started.  Here is her story: “

I am a mom of 4 who has been harassed and humiliated by Target employees for nursing by infant in their store. On Thursday, November 29th around 7-8pm, I was Christmas shopping with a basket full of items when my infant woke up hungry, so I found a remote area of the store in the ladies clothing department close to the fitting rooms and sat Indian style on the floor next to my basket and a display of jeans and nursed my hungry baby with a blanket completely covering him. Briefly I will say that 2 female employees came and verbally asked me to move. The 2nd one told me that Target employees had been told/trained to interrupt nursing and to redirect mothers to the fitting rooms. Even after I informed the 2nd employee of my legal right to nurse in public she still suggested me moving closer to the jean display, turning to face another direction, and also turn my basket a certain way which would have put me practically underneath the jean display and totally barricaded me in. Employee #2 even hinted in a threatening way “you can get a ticket and be reported for indecent exposure” when nothing was being exposed and there was more boob showing from low cut shirts several shoppers were wearing that night. This does not include the other 3-4 employees besides the 2 verbal ones who were all watching and making a spectacle of my nursing by standing around pretending to do something and giving me mean looks and shaking their heads no back and forth. In a side note not a single non-employee customer ever saw the incident so I’m not sure why the employees were trying to act like I was offending “the public” and that it was their job to step in.

After I left the store I decided to call the Target corporate office during normal business hours the following day on November 30th, and speak to a guest relations person to notify them of the situation and to suggest that they educate their employees as to the legal right I have to nurse in public. The phone call however took a turn for the worse. The lady (I wish I would have gotten her name) told me that she and Target were aware of our legal rights as nursing mothers, but that Target has different policies because they are a family friendly public place. I can’t think of a more family friendly act than breastfeeding and providing the irrefutably proven healthiest diet to my baby. She continued to inform me repeatedly that Target’s policies were different than the law and even went as far to say several times that just because it is a woman’s right to nurse in public even without a nursing cover like I was using doesn’t mean women should walk around  “flaunting it” and was extremely rude. I also talked to the supervisor of this rude lady and that didn’t get anywhere either.

It saddens me that mothers are being treated this way as if breastfeeding is vile and offensive. If this would have happened to me with the first child I nursed I would have considered giving up on nursing due to embarrassment and that is what concerns me the most. I know that breastmilk is best and that nursing is hard work and a selfless act that mothers choose to do for their babies, and I would hate for this to happen to someone else causing them to give up on nursing. Please help me support the best nutrition for babies and to make a stand in support of nursing in public so this doesn’t happen again.

“Target has a long-standing practice that supports breastfeeding in our stores. We apologize for any inconvenience the guest experienced and will take this opportunity to reaffirm this commitment with our team members,” company representative Kristi Arndt said.

“For guests in our stores, we support the use of fitting rooms for women who wish to breastfeed their babies, even if others are waiting to use the fitting rooms. In addition, guests who choose to breastfeed discreetly in more public areas of the store are welcome to do so without being made to feel uncomfortable.

Clearly, this policy is not translating through to employees. Best for Babes hopes that this can be resolved quickly before December 28th and that Target will implement improved employee training across all stores and for all new hires so as to end harassment and discrimination against nursing customers.  We have contacted Target headquarters and have offered to help develop materials that can help them effectively communicate with their employees about nursing in public; our information is being passed on to the employee training department and we will keep you posted!

We hope that Target will take this issue as seriously as any other anti-discrimination policies, and make a greater effort to educate employees that breastfeeding benefits everyone, is truly beautiful, and that ALL mothers deserve to be cheered on and encouraged, whether they breastfeed for 2 days, 2 months, 2 years or not at all! They may even find that their own employee breastfeeding rates improve, which only helps the company’s bottom line, since every $1 invested in corporate lactation programs yields a $3 return.  We hope they will turn to “The Business Case for Breastfeeding“, an excellent program and toolkit for employers developed by womenshealth.gov.  Despite recent advances in employer and insurance policies, we still have a long way to go to change our culture, and we need Target to embrace this opportunity and apply their fantastic marketing skills to improving the public perception, and the perception of their employees, towards breastfeeding!

Take Action:

1.  Contact Target to share your thoughts (thanks to Crunchy Domestic Goddess for the info).  Be constructive and polite :  Target Corporation, 1000 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN  55403.  Guest Relations: (800) 440-0680 or (612)304-6073

(7a.m. to 6p.m. CT, Monday through Friday) or email: guest.relations@target.com

2.  Inform mothers of their rights.  Click here for your state breastfeeding laws.  Also, thanks to PhDinParenting via Crunchy Domestic Goddess for this excellent information: This woman, and any woman, that experiences this type of harassment should report it to FirstRight. They maintain an inventory of such harassment cases and can also help mothers to figure out the best course of action (for example, nurse-ins can be good tools but are not always the best first step). Here is the link to FirstRight: http://www.firstright.org/reportdiscrimination

3.  Ask your elected officials to support the Breastfeeding Promotion Act.  The stronger our national policies, the better for everyone.

Let us know if you have any other suggestions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

222 Comments | Last revised on 12/14/2011

This entry was posted in Advocacy, Main Content and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

222 Responses to Target Employees Bully Breastfeeding Mom Despite Corporate Policy

1. Melissa Cline says:

I think their official policy was followed. (That is to say, their corporate policy is terrible.) They say “who choose to breastfeed discreetly in more public areas of the store are welcome to do so.” Whose definition of discretion prevails if there is disagreement? Apparently not the mother’s.

Guess I won’t be shopping at Target ever again.

• Melissa Cline says:

I think this headline should read Target Employees Bully Breastfeeding Mom In Accordance With Corporate Policy. I don’t think the push should be to get Target widely communicate the flawed policy, but to change it.

• Deborah Kuehner says:

I completely agree. The corporate policy is to pressure nursing women and their hungry babies to hide in dressing rooms and/or adhere to some vague definition of “discrete.” By the response this woman got from customer relations, it sounds as though any employee’s definition of discrete can be enforced, and that makes me want to take my nursing toddler (and all the money I usually spend at Target) and shop elsewhere. That is, unless the policy changes.

• Jo says:

The “discreetly” stuck out to be, too. The law doesn’t require breastfeeding moms to act “discreetly” — and by who’s definition anyway?

• KAS says:

Exactly. Target’s policy, if that is indeed how it is worded, was then followed. By NOT hiding in the dressing rooms, this mom was thus not being discreet. What, exactly, is “discreet” via their definition, since it seems to matter so much? It is obviously up to the store management and employees to translate the policy however they please, and in this case it means that moms can be bullied into hiding themselves away in shame, and the employees are still following the store’s policy.
      I’m glad we don’t have a Target here. I’m no longer breastfeeding but would be sorely tempted to gather together all the breastfeeding moms I know and organize a nurse-in on my own to help get the point across.
      Let’s face it: until we’ve educated EVERYONE about the benefits to mom, baby, and the general public of breastfeeding, this kind of thing is going to keep happening. Hopefully we can stop it.
      I should note that if Target follows a policy of recording phone calls and legal action was to follow, a transcript or copy of the recording could be requested.

• Monday says:

Go sit on the floor of Target talking on the phone, see if they ask you to get up.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Why will you “not” be shopping at Target again? Seriously? Maybe a little dramatic don’t you think. Maybe this woman is exaggerating a little. We are only hearing her side of the story. Maybe sitting on the dirty floor of a busy store is kind of a strange place to breastfeed her child?? Just a thought. Maybe the employee’s didn’t want to step over her, or have another shopper trip over her. Sounds like she was looking for some attention.

• katie says:

thank you for this comment!!! oh my goodness…the dramatics everyone is pulling on this is crazy- arent there bigger things to worry about in the world. sure, its a woman’s choice to breastfeed, but what if it makes others uncomfortable….do those people not matter? just go sit in the dressing room where it makes sense and is more comfortable for everyone involved…its just nonsense that everyone is so up in arms about this…seriously?!?!

• Shirley says:

I agree!!! Some of us find the most pettiest things to fight for!!! Just don’t shop there anymore.. PLEASE!!!! What about getting people together about how the Veterans, Elderly, and the homeless are treated!!!!

• Crys says:

I don’t find it gross, but I just find it uncourteous…. I dont want to see that while I shop. Plain and simple. Cover it up and go about your shopping. No need to throw a fit over it, no need to get the country involved just because you were asked to go into a dressing room (where you should have probably gone in the first place, why sit on the floor?!). Sure, its your right to breastfeed, but its also my right to burp… but I don’t do that out of respect for others around me. LOL
            I dont mind if I’m at someones home and they start doing it in front of me, but at that moment, I’m probably a friend, etc. Last thing I want to see is some strange womans tit hangin out while I’m trying to look for a dvd.
            But why throw such a fit over something so petty? …. concentrate your efforts into a bigger and more meaningful effort, geezus.

• Jessica says:

I am a Mother of two (both 15 months apart) and have nursed both children till their 1st birthday. Never did I sit on a dirty floor in the middle of a busy store to do so. I have walked into stores and seen mothers changing diapers on the actual furniture for sale (suffice to say I did not buy the furniture…) I have even gone to lunch with a mommy group and watched as one Mother pulled her bare breast out and plopped it out on the table for her two year old son as we all sat with our own babies “trying” to eat our own lunches. To each their own but where do we draw the line in terms of consideration and respect to those people that surround us who may or may not have different ideas of their own. Should we force our bared breasts and short skirts down people’s throats as the Kim Kardashians and Britney Spears of this world or could we be a bit better than that and show something lost to this world… good manners.

I would like my children to grow up in a world of openness to new ideas and acceptance but there is a balance to everything. With acceptance comes respect and consideration of others- fighting for our rights as mothers to feed our children in a public space is good and just but not at the cost of others rights, space, or ideas- the floor of a business, store, office, or work place is not an appropriate for eating, talking on the phone, or having a business meeting… why is it ok for this Mother? Is she better than everyone else just because she has a hungry baby? I don’t really want to judge this mother who was doing her best at the time but don’t send me emails asking me to walk into Target and protest over such a silly, and petty matter. Woman are imprisoned and stoned to death in other places than “America” for such things as baring their faces.

• Leah says:

the reason women have breasts is to nurse their babies. just because the sole purpose of a breast has been changed by culture doesn’t quantify for someone’s discomfort. I am disgusted when I see a woman not even TRY to breastfeed so there!!

• SHIRLEY FORD says:

QUESTION…. DID THE WOMAN LEAVE HER PURCHASES BEHIND AND LEAVE THE STORE AFTER SHE FINISHED BREAST FEEDING? Did the womam ask to speak to the store manager? How offended was she. I have read nothing about these facts.

• CM says:

As a mother of thee young children (all of which were BF for 3-6 mnths) I will continue to be shopping at Target. In my opinion the BF movement is going to far. Perhaps we should all be a little more courteous to our fellow shoppers, diners, ect. If a dressing room was available, what inconvienence would she truly have experienced? I have no knowledge of how crowded the store was, but perhaps she was blocking access to displays? I did BF in stores, covered up, but if someone had mentioned it made them uncomfortable, I would have gone outside and continued. The number one Facebook status I hate to read is “if breastfeeding makes you uncomfortable, cover

2. Meghan Rogers says:

Hmmm… I think I’m going to go to the middle of my local Target store and BF. Cover? Probably not. I dare someone to come to me and say something.

• Christy says:

I will do the same and my son is 2 years old. I don’t have tolerance for ignorant people. Especially when it comes to my right to breastfeed in public.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Maybe feed your child at home before you shop. Maybe use a breast pump. Maybe go to a private area in the store to feed your child if need be. “Your right?” Really. I have the right to shop without seeing someone flop their breast out to feed their child. Give me a break!

• Lee says:

Are you really this ignorant? Generally, when I have seen women breastfeed in public they are completely covered and not exposing anything. Maybe you should grow up. Breastfeeding is natural and if you cannot deal with it, it is your problem, not the mothers who choose to feed their children in the most natural way possible.

• Dallas says:

I’m telling you! She is not a mother. Maybe it’s really a man posing as a woman.

• Alicia says:

So because a woman is uncomfortable with the situation and expresses an opinion different from yours, means she’s not a mother? Not WOMAN ENOUGH for you? You’re being ridiculous.

• Letty says:

I often go to the furniture section and snuggle up with my 6 month old daughter in a living room chair or couch they have set up as a display.

• Emma says:

Ha, fantastic. Because that’s exactly what I’m sure they hope you use the furniture for. It’s NOT your home, don’t treat it as such!! Sheesh, you ladies need to drop the entitlement and learn some manners.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

I guarantee you I would say something to you. This is not a third world country and I personally do not care to see you feeding your child in public. Maybe do it before you go shopping. Most babies are on a feeding schedule. Some nursing mothers actually use these things called “breast pumps.” You should check them out.

• Lee says:

More ignorance from a woman who should support women’s and children’s rights on this issue. Why is it normally women who choose to discriminate against other women who are only doing what is natural. Perhaps the woman did feed her child before leaving her home. Maybe she was out of the house for several hours and her child became hungry again while she was shopping. Even if she didn’t feed her child before leaving her home she has a legal and a motherly right to feed her child whenever nature calls. If you don’t like it, maybe it is you who has the problem.

• Crys says:

So just because we’re all women here, we HAVE to support each other? No offense, but thats crap. I don’t get offended by anything at all… why? Because everyones views and opinions are different. I don’t throw hissy fits over things like this. Not everyone in the world is going to be ok with some strangers breast hangin out…. I am one of them. I don’t find it gross, I just find it disrespectful for those around. Not everyone is comfortable with it and you can’t make them be OK with it, no matter what you do. Kinda like you can’t make a conservative Republican be OK with gay marriage. Forcing people to watch it isn’t going to change how they feel.

• kelly felmeten says:

where did it say her breast was hanging out? she had a cover on and only employees made a fuss

• kelly felmeten says:

thats almost like asking them to feed the baby in the bathroom at resturaunt. would you eat on the toilet?

• Jessica says:

I personally don’t walk into a store and start eating my lunch on the furniture for sale or take a nap on the couch in the front window of Macy’s. I think we are all for the right to nurse in public but just like the texting at the dinner table issue or talking on the phone at the check in counter there is an appropriate time and place. I personally can’t believe you go to a store to snuggle with your child- what is that??

• Emma says:

SHE WAS ON THE DIRTY FLOOR, what part of that do you not understand? It’s unsanitary and dangerous to her and other shoppers.

• Leigh says:

Who cares if she breastfed at home or NOT – that baby was hungry, it’s her RIGHT to breastfeed her baby whenever, wherever she chooses. A third world country? Like breastfeeding is some primal, indecent act for people of a poor country? It’s how women’s bodies are designed to feed their babies, WITHOUT the use of a pump. If you said something to me I would tell you to mind your own business. Most babies are NOT on a feeding schedule, just like most adults are not a feeding schedule, they get hungry when they get hungry. If you think that it’s indecent, how about the ads in the mall for half-naked women, or traveling stripper ads on vans, or the sex magazines in the checkout aisle? No. Those are okay, but breastfeeding is not. What backwards world did you grow up in?

• Jessica says:

Our bodies are made for procreating too- maybe we should all start mating on the floor of Target. Especially if you seem to be “ok” with all the vugarity in marketing today. As a woman you should be offended that those companies are trying to turn our daughters (we’re trying to nurse) into brainless mindless half dressed floozies. This lady was more concerned with gaurding her basket full of that “marketed stuff” than taking the time to find a better place than feed her child than on the dirty floor in the middle of a business.

• HBACingmama says:

Are you going to buy every mother in America a breast pump? Along with storage bags, bottles, nipples, ice packs, and an insulated carrier? Oh, and a portable bottle warmer that runs on batteries, and the batteries for it? And let’s not forget the supply boosters that some women would need because they don’t respond to a pump, or because pumping has caused their supply to get screwed up. No…you won’t? Then give it a rest with the “just pump” line. It’s tiresome.

• Kristi Lozinto says:

Ignorance is a sad thing. If u were educated u would know that pumping is not the solution. And not every baby is on an exact schedule & even if one is, the schedule can be interupted & changed. When an adult or older child is hungry, they are allowed to eat almost anytime anywhere. A mother has the right to feed her infant anywhere at anytime just as everyone else has that right! Breasts are not supposed to be a sexual thing, they are made to feed our babys!

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Better hope I don’t bump into you as a shopper, or trip over you. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be “overly friendly.”

• Tammy says:

Uh, Michelle … So you would pick a fight with a woman who is feeding an infant? I don’t care if you agree with what they are doing or not. You would be creating a hostile, dangerous environment. Be a grown up and go about your business.

• Emma says:

Uh Tammy…so sitting on the dirty floor where patrons may not possibly see you isn’t a dangerous environment? You’re a hypocrite.

• Danielle says:

So… you’re just trying to cause a scene then? Because there is actually no need to breast feed a baby on the shop floor. Seriously, I know you think you’re fighting for a good cause and all that, but really, you are making breast feeding women look stupid.

3. Ashley says:

It is so sad that we as mothers should be harassed for feeding our babies the absolute most natural way possible. I have had dirty looks and have had someone come up to me in the past asking me why I didnt just go to the bathroom. My response was simply “Do you eat dinner in the bathroom?” I am currently nursing twins and in public I nurse one at a time but I refuse to hide while I feed my babies and a bottle feeding mom can throw a bottle in their babies mouth and no one will say a word.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Well, having a bowel movement is a “natural thing” too, but one does not require an audience. Maybe people are giving you dirty looks, etc. because they don’t want to watch you breast feed your children?? Just a thought. It’s great that you choose to breast feed your children, good for you. Honestly, if you need a pat on the back or applause for it that is very sad.

• Danielle says:

That would be because a bottle is not a private part of our body.

• kelly says:

good for you ashley. i have seen you feed those beautiful babies and not once have i seen any part of your breast.

• Kristi Lozinto says:

Thank you Ashley for your words of wisdom. And for working twice as hard to give your twins the best food for them, ur breastmilk!

4. Katja says:

“Thursday, November 29″….of what year?
    I nurse all the time at my local Target, while walking around shopping. 🙂

• Bettina Forbes, CLC says:

2011.

• jennifer says:

According to my calendar, November 29, 2011 was a Tuesday.

• Karmyn says:

I shop at my local Target 2-3 times a week and I ALWAYS nurse my daughter while shopping and I NEVER cover up.

One “Target Team Member” did ask me if I wanted to nurse in the fitting room but I told her “No thank you–I need to shop.” She didn’t ask in an offensive manner (I think she wanted to make sure I was comfortable).

• Tayler Enyart says:

I’m very offended by what happened at this Target, blah blah blah… But how do you nurse while walking around and shopping?? My LO uses a nipple shield so that makes things more difficult but I’d love to be able to walk and nurse. Tips??

• Laura says:

Walking and nursing was a talent that I developed the more I nursed my babies. When they were first learning to latch, I couldn’t do it at all. I would just say, get as comfortable with the nursing process as possible, get used to doing things while nursing… and more than likely, use a sling.

• Jessica says:

Ergo baby carrier and shopping always worked for me. Gave me two hands for shopping and no one knew whether I was feeding or baby was sleeping. Never needed to sit down on the floor in the middle of the store to make a huge deal about being a Mother who “brestfeeds”. Seriously, I have friends that didn’t nurse becuase of physical issues or choice and are scarred the nursing nazis are going to get them if they admit to the fact they weren’t succesful at it.

5. Kim says:

Here is the letter I emailed:

Dear Guest Relations Management:

I was shocked to read the following story, detailing unacceptable treatment of a nursing mother: http://www.bestforbabes.org/target-employees-bully-breastfeeding-mom-despite-corporate-policy.

I shop at Target nearly every day and have breastfed my son several times in the store. I never use a cover because my son rips it off and causes more exposure with it than without it. I usually nurse in the Starbucks or Target cafe portions of the store. As I am sure you are aware, a mother has the right to nurse her children anywhere she has the right to be. This means that she does not have to use the fitting rooms to nurse in and can nurse on the floor, near a jeans display if she deems that to be the most appropriate place for her child. The way your employees treated this nursing mother in the story above is completely unacceptable, so much so that I would deem it to be harassment. I have been at my local Target store early enough to have witnessed what looked like an all-staff meeting before the store got busy. I absolutely expect each employee working for the store mentioned above be spoken to about the rights of nursing mothers and how irrelevant their personal opinions about breastfeeding are. I will be actively looking for the outcome of this situation to be described in news sources online and if I read that this sort of treatment continues or that Target management do no take proper steps to rectify this situation, then I will feel compelled to rethink my financial support of your company.

My local store is breastfeeding friendly and I expect every other Target store to be the same, regardless of management or location.

6. Tara says:

Melissa, just what I was thinking: “discreetly” leaves waaay too much open to interpretation.

What’s with the employee on the phone basically asserting that Target is above the law? That one just has me completely at a loss.

C’mon Target, you can do better than this!

(This makes me wish my toddler hadn’t recently weaned. It would be great to go nurse him in Target this week.)

• Dallas says:

MEEEEE TOOOOO!!!! I have been working on weaning my 21 month old daughter just this week. All of this worked me up & I gave in this evening. I actuallyy live in Houston, TX & wish I had known about the Nurse-In this morning. I would have TOTALLY been there!!! Ignorant people are even more outraged when you nurse a toddler ya know. : ) The problem is that society has sexualized breasts instead of embracing this fascinating ability that mothers have been gifted by nature for their babies. That is why there are way more babies on formula who for no medical or reasonable reason, are denied the BEST nutrition possible! What about their little rights?? How about the fact that I have to screen every movie before my kids watch because there is so much sex & inappropriate innuendo. I agree with Michelle, there are way more boobs innapropriately hanging out of shirts for fashion. That especially offends me since we have 5 boys. I am constantly explaining what the purpose of breasts are to them. When people are mature & educated they are less offended, if at all. My children who have seen me openly breastfeed at home are obviosly way more mature & respectful than these “adult” employees at this Target. Next time shop at the Target on I-10 & Taylor in Houston. They have NEVER given me any problems for breastfeeding at that store.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

You seriously breastfeed a two year old? In public? This child is old enough for a sippy cup and you still breast feed? Wow!

• Charissa says:

I agree….a 2 year old, I think that’s just sick, by that age they are probably telling you they want to suck your boob. I think it’s great to breastfeed but have some respect to others and possibly their children and go some where private and breastfeed. I have 3 small children and I wouldn’t want to be shopping and see a woman with her boob hanging out and my child looking at that. Even if I did tell them that’s how the baby gets his/her food, a 5 year old is not going to just take that as an answer.

• Crys says:

I agree…. we have a 2 year old in our household and they’re already talking/walking already. I couldn’t imagine her being breastfed. Reminds me of that one movie “Grown Ups” where the toddler is still BF’ing. Thats just wrong.

• kelly says:

i have been around many breastfeeding women, i did not, and have never seen the “boobs” hanging out. get real and grow up

• Kristi Lozinto says:

Its not sick. It is her decision. Its sick to see all these kids constantly eating all this sugar & fast food. Thats whats sick!

• Dallas says:

Like I said Michelle Lazarov, IGNORANT PEOPLE! What is wrong with breastfeeding a 2 year old? La Leche League, WIC, and all other breastfeeding experts encourage mothers to go past a year. If you hadn’t noticed, a 2 year old is still pretty much a baby. Enfamil now makes formula for children up to 3 years old. Do ya wonder why that is?? I never said I breastfed my 21 month old (that is not quite 2 sweetie) in public. In public she does drink from a sippy cup. If I did decide to breastfeed her in public, remember I have that legal right! You sound like one of those Target employees innapropriatly snickering.

• Danielle says:

You have the right to breast feed a BABY, not a toddler. That’s just really weird.

And yeah, fine, breastfeed until a year, but 2 years? Really?

• bstrangely says:

so talk to WHO about it. that’s their recommendation. do you think you know better than the most recognized medical authority on the planet?

just checking.

7. Penny says:

I have breastfed in target quite a few times in a less than breast friendly city. I refuse to cover and nurse “discreetly” (whatever that means), my shirt covers more than enough. I often nurse over by the dressing rooms in the chairs they provide there in full view of anyone walking by and the workers at the dressing rooms. Honestly I think the only thing that stops them from saying anything is my attitude. I do not hide or cover. I look them straight in the eye with a confident smile. I’ve been lucky so far. I’ve never had negative comments with any of my 5 children. I do think it may be time to boycotte Target until they change their policy.

• Hannah says:

The reason you’ve never had any negative comments isn’t from your “attitude” honey, it’s because of the very policy you plan to boycott. Team Members are instructed only to approach a nursing mother to offer her a fitting room for comfort and nothing else. Obviously the team members employed at your Target are good workers with heads on their shoulders, unlike the select few in that Target store from Texas. Target has never been “anti-breastfeeding” and there are hundreds of posts just like yours where women are sharing the times they’ve breastfed and WEREN’T asked to stop or relocate in store. I think before mothers become offended and outraged they should think about this story as a whole, and stop associating the entire corporation with this one incident in Texas. It isn’t “luck” you’ve been experiencing, it’s Target policy.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

I would love for you to “boycott” and not shop at Target. I certainly do not want to have to watch you breast feed your child in public. PLEASE do shop somewhere else. And thank you.

• Danielle says:

So, you deliberately do something that will annoy and upset some people?

How difficult is it to cover yourself up? Not very, but you purposefully refuse to do that?

8. erin says:

Several months ago I saw a mother walking around the Target store in Port Orange, Florida, nursing her very newborn (tiny cute!) baby while she continued to walk around and shop. She had her shirt completely up in the back, and baby on the boob. 🙂 I did not witness any Target employee harass her at all whatsoever. I guess my local Target is the exception here.

I hope that Target can change their tone regarding public breastfeeding, or I wont even shop at my local Target. It is uncomfortable enough for a mother to have to squish in someplace public to have to BF, then to be humiliated and harassed? Target sells a lot of BF and baby products to nursing mothers. I doubt they would like to lose these customers….

9. Maegan says:

I would not want to boycott ALL Targets based on the actions of one (though the corporate response does bother me)…When I was breastfeeding babies (2 – at 2 different Target stores) I usually went to the cafe area…b/c of the chairs & tables available to me. The first time (2004) SEVERAL women in my state had been arrested for breastfeeding in public (though always later released b/c the law allows women to nurse in public)…there seemed to be lots of attention on the cases & some of them were very near the time when I was actively needing to nurse in public.

I might have gotten a few sideways glances from other patrons passing by…but not ONE employee ever bothered me or asked me to stop…or move. And the cafes in these stores have HUGE glass windows that make you viewable to the outside as well as the store…I used a cover with my first child…but not with my second. I did park the cart so I had some extra privacy…but wasn’t otherwise covering up with anything but my t-shirt.

I also (just this past year) helped a mom nurse in public in the cafe area of a Target store (a different state than the one I nursed in). We were having some snacks with our toddlers & she had a wrap on her wrist from a sprain & needed help getting the baby in position. No one bothered us at that time, either.

• Hannah says:

Thank you for your level-headed response to this article! I wish more mothers would see the issue this way, instead of proclaiming their outrage at the corporation as a whole and announcing a boycott of EVERY target.

• Bettina Forbes, CLC says:

Please get your facts straight. This was not a boycott. It was a peaceful demonstration and many mothers shopped.

10. I am so very disappointed in that Target store as well as the response from the phone call. The phrase “discreetly” is so open to interpretation. There is no reason for Target to hold themselves above state law.

I do have to say that when my second daughter was an infant, I nursed her in the snack bar area of the San Marcos, Texas, Target many times (without a cover) and never got so much as a sideways glance from any of the Target employees. It’s not every Target store – but the ones who are harassing nursing mothers need to be called out.

11. Stacy Conrad says:

Shame on you Target! I, too, am a victim of Target’s less than friendly attitude toward breastfeeding. When my 3 week old infant and I were shopping in Target, she got hungry. I hadn’t mastered nursing in the sling yet, so I walked to the dressing room and asked for a room. I asked for a handicap room obviously because of the stroller. The problem was that when I asked for the room, as the baby is screaming, I said, “May I get a room to nurse the baby?” The long-time female employee says,”What are you going to do, ma’am?” I said,”I need to nurse my baby, you know, breastfeed her. I’ll need the handicapped room because of the stroller.” She looks at me with a disgusted look on her face and says,”No ma’am.” I start to panic because my baby is freaking by this point. I said,”WHAT? You aren’t going to let me use the dressing room?” She proceeds to tell me in a very unconvincing voice that the dressing room that I will need is broken. I told her I didn’t care if the lock was broken, I just needed to sit somewhere to feed her. People are staring at us at this point, so I ask if I can just go in and sit on the floor. I didn’t even need a room. I just wanted to feed my baby. She tells me “no” she can’t allow me to bring the stroller into the dressing room at all and continues that if I leave it out she is not responsible for theft. There was no way I could carry the baby and everything else in the stroller into the dressing room. A middle aged lady is one of many who is witnessing this and tells me that if she were me, she would take her shirt off and walk around the store topless and nurse my baby. She said that she would bet the dressing room would suddenly be available. I was so humiliated at the scene that this woman caused. I was in tears. There were so many people standing around and watching me pleading with this woman to let me use the dressing room. I finally just stood there, lifted my shirt and fed her as I walked around the store. I threw a blanket over us as she nursed and I tried to go on with my shopping so I could get out of there and not have to get out again to go somewhere else.

Not 5 minutes later another employee is walking by me as I am discreetly nursing my infant, does and double take and says,”Really? Are you seriously doing what I think you are? UGH!” and walks away. It was at that point that I just left. I couldn’t go through anymore humiliation at that point.

As soon as I got home, I called the store and spoke with someone who called herself a manager. I told her what had transpired and she assured me that she was going to talk to her employees and it would NEVER happen again. She said that the handicap dressing room had been having problems with the lock, but that the law allows for me to use the mens dressing room in that circumstance and that I should have asked to use the men’s.

Fast forward a few weeks. I was in the same store with my infant. She got hungry. I really would never in a million years have thought this would happen twice, especially to the same person.

Keep in mind that this time was a weekday morning and I am one of the only people in the store and the only person in the dressing room area.

Baby gets hungry, I approach the dressing room where I am greeted by a male employee who seems disgruntled. I assume it is because the baby is screaming. I ask to use the dressing room. I ask for the handicap. I knew that I shouldn’t have told him that I wanted to nurse the baby, but I couldn’t help it. I wanted to “test” him. I proceed to tell him the baby is hungry and needs to nurse. He gives me the same look of disgust the woman gave me weeks earlier and says,”UH! Yeah! It’s broken.” I say,”still?” He doesn’t respond. I tell him that I would like to use the men’s to feed the baby. He tells me that he cannot allow me in the men’s because it’s against company policy. I tell him that I actually had a manager tell me what company policy was regarding breastfeeding and I am allowed to use it. He continues to tell me that he won’t let me use it. I ask him to call a manager and this guy looks at me and says,”okay!”, but continues to hang clothes on the rack. I had to tell him twice to call a manager. I tell him that the baby is starving and needs to eat. He just takes his sweet old time and makes sure that I know that he is being a jerk. He finally pages the manager, but no one shows after 5-10 minutes, so I just left.

I called the store manager when I got home and got an apology, but I seriously doubt they were serious.

• Tayler Enyart says:

That is absolutely disgusting. I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I’m amazed at how uneducated and vicious people are about something as innocent and natural as feeding your child. WOW.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Just a thought, MAYBE you should feed your children before you shop. Maybe purchase a breast pump? Again, just a thought. I have shopped at Target for many years and they have the friendliest employee’s ever. It’s difficult to believe that you are being completely honest with your story. If they made you feel this upset, why do you go back there? Perhaps you should shop somewhere else?? Just a thought.

• Dallas says:

This person is obviously not a mother….

• Elle says:

Michelle, according to you, not only are mothers not allowed to breast feed in public but they can’t even do it in a private place! Apparently, ether you have to bottle feed or only be out for 3 hours at a time. Not all women can utilize a breast pump and not all babies take a bottle after breast.
        You need to go back and read what your rights are and the rights of a breast fed baby. Since YOU’RE the one with the problem, maybe YOU should piss off and stay home rather than expect others who have a legal right to do what they are doing!

• Danielle says:

Here, here. If you are going feed before and express some milk so you don’t have to expose yourself in public.

12. Deborah Kuehner says:

A question for Best for Babes:
    These stories of women being harrassed for breastfeeding are so disturbing – and, they continue, even with laws in most states granting women the right to BF in public. It seems to me this is because there are no complementary laws making it illegal to harrass a nursing mother. Is there any effort that you know of to push states to strengthen the laws so that harrassment of a nursing is a violation of her civil rights and carries legal consequences? I’d want to join that effort.

• Andrea Havens says:

This is an excellent question. It seems to be a logical next step. I would also be very interested to know of any possible developments in this regard.

• AnnS says:

Yes, indeed, there are bills up in other states, too, but here in Michigan we have one that would make breastfeeding a civil right – it’s not yet gone to committee, but our local breastfeeding coalition, the Capital Area Breastfeeding Coalition is actively working on getting that in front of judiciary committee which can get it moving. If it passes, Michigan would be one of four states with a law with civil rights “teeth” (akin to asking someone to leave based on their skin color).

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Well, on the flip side, I would want to join the folks that don’t want to have to look at some lady’s boob while I shop.

13. Stephanie Dacanay says:

Two months ago, I was nursing my 4 month-old under a cover, while pushing a cart down one of the non-main aisles. Two employees walked by and, after passing, one said to the other, “Yesterday, a woman actually sat down on an empty end-cap to breastfeed her baby. I can’t believe she did that.” The other one replied, “I hope somebody told her to move. What is wrong with people?” Having just passed me, a breastfeeding mother, and while still in earshot, I felt like the comments were at least meant to be heard by me, if not specifically meant to intimidate me. I was so disappointed to have had to overhear Target employees bad-mouthing a breastfeeding mom.

• laurel says:

She could have been hurt on that endcap, it’s not meant for people to sit on! I’m with the employees on that one, especially after being a manager in a retail situation. You can’t let someone sit on an endcap and you will have to make them move. I do have to wonder what is going through their head if they think that sitting on an endcap is ok.

At least choose one of the chairs they’re selling or in the cafe! When I NIP at Target I do it in a carrier, or failing that I find somewhere comfy to sit! Endcaps are not comfy LOL

• Hannah says:

I agree completely with Laurel here, it seems like the employees’ comments were in no way directed at the breastfeeding but rather at the safety hazard of plopping down on an empty endcap.

14. Megan says:

I am curious if this is happening at other stores as well. Has anyone had this occur at Wal-Mart or any other major corporation? This is something that definitely needs reform especially if it is JUST Target behaving this way. It’s easier to convince people to follow what many are already following but if this is all major corporations then it will be very difficult to do. I do think it is a cause that needs support.

• Tara says:

I’m from PA….I have had no problems with our Target or Walmart….I usually ask to use the fitting rooms just so i don’t have to sit on the floor of the store… At Walmart they have been nothing but wonderful… the one lady even cleared out a fitting room for me because she said the other ones were too little 🙂 and at Target they have never refused me a room… only once did an employee tell me I couldn’t take all my merchandise in with me… which was fine with me. It makes me sad to hear all the negative attitudes these stores have!!!

15. Becky says:

Am I the only person who thinks it’s completely random to sit on the FLOOR in ladies apparel? Anyone, nursing or not would be asked to move. Why couldn’t she sit in the cafe or some other place that was actually intended for sitting? It just seems like she’s “daring” someone to say something. I know it’s probably not “illegal” to sit on the floor in some random area in the store, but can we use some common sense, and look at it from the business’ perspective? I would feel differently if she was harassed while she was sitting in some designated sitting area, and I realize that’s not the reason they cited, but they probably wouldn’t have noticed if she was sitting in a chair somewhere. I read story after story of employees treating nursing mothers unfairly, but I think this one is a bit of a stretch.

• Deborah Kuehner says:

I have to disagree with you – probably because I’ve sat on the floor in Target and other places to nurse. Usually, it’s because I’m nowhere near a sitting area (or the store doesn’t have one) and the prospect of listening to my hungry babe cry and keeping my older child focused and cooperative while I search around for a comfortable chair is not worth the time or effort. I’m not “daring” someone to say anything – I’m just feeding my kid so I can get on with my shopping. I can see why another person might think it’s weird, and that’s their prerogative. I see other parents do things I wouldn’t do all the time, but I don’t feel the need to tell them they are wrong and ask them to do things differently.

I do think that if by sitting on the floor a nursing mom was blocking other shoppers’ access to merchandise, the business should be able to ask her to move. But, this doesn’t seem to be the case in this story since the employees wanted to add obstacles (the cart) rather than remove them.

• laurel says:

I agree. It sounds like she was sitting the middle of a display area, and that’s a fire hazard.

By her own description it seems like she wasn’t bullied or harassed until she refused to move a little closer to the display (and out of the way of foot traffic?) and I think it is a little weird to plop down wherever you are.

I have to wonder if she had sat down in an area with chairs if anyone would have even noticed. It’s like screaming out for attention and then telling everyone to leave you alone…

• Jennifer M says:

I am so glad that someone made this point. NIP is all good, but not to sit on the floor during a busy shopping time. Especially if there is someplace like the cafe to sit.

• Liz says:

I completely agree with this. Target stores have a million places to sit. There was no reason for her to be on the floor of the women’s clothing section. It seems like she was looking for some negative attention. Like she wanted to stir something up. I am 100% for NIP but I think this woman was in the wrong here.

• Hannah says:

AGREED 100% on this! I’m thrilled to see other people agreeing to this point as well. It makes no sense to just sit in the middle of the floor and expect silence about it. The entire situation from the shopper’s point of view seems exaggerated to me. I know if I were the team member who stumbled across her on the floor I’d speak up in a heartbeat and ask her to move to an area designated for sitting, for her safety, the baby’s, and the other shoppers.

• Bettina Forbes, CLC says:

But the employees didn’t do that. They didn’t mention her safety, her baby’s, or the other shoppers. They threatened her with being cited for indecent exposure, shamed, and harassed her. Very different.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

According to her. Who know’s how exaggerated, or even how truthful this woman is being. Sounds like she is seriously looking for some attention.

• Danielle says:

To be honest it sounds like whatever crap she spouts and no matter what she did you will agree with her side of the story.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Wow! Hannah! Finally someone with some COMMON SENSE!! Thank you and I fully agree with you!

• Michelle Lazarov says:

I fully agree with you. I am blown away that this mother did this. It seems like she was just wanting to start something with the employees. We have not heard the employee’s side of the story. I do not want to have to step over some lady that is sitting on the floor nursing her baby. Honestly, what if someone tripped over her and fallen on her and her baby?? What an odd thing to do! Also, I can’t even begin to imagine how dirty the floor of a busy store would be. Again, how odd. Maybe this was what she was hoping for in order to sue the store.

• katie says:

i completely agree with you!!!!

16. Skyfire says:

When I worked at a Target in California, we were repeatedly reminded of the policy regarding breastfeeding in a way that was difficult to misinterpret: If we saw a woman breastfeeding in any part of the store, we were to ignore that fact and treat her as any other customer. If a woman asks where she can breastfeed in privacy, we were to offer the fitting room.

Maybe it’s a regional difference?

• Hannah says:

I worked in a Target in Pennsylvania and my team was constantly instructed with the same exact policy. I’ve seen women breastfeeding numerous times and there were never any problems.

17. Rebekah says:

I live in Idaho where the only law about breastfeeding is to allow postponement of jury duty for breastfeeding mothers. I have nursed with and without covers in almost every store and restaurant I’ve frequented, but especially Walmart, where I’ve nursed my twins in tandem and one at a time in different occasions on the public benches (not in dressing rooms). Surprisingly, I’ve never had anyone give me any grief about it, even though, I could technically be arrested for indecent exposure.

Michelle’s treatment at Target is absolutely appalling. I totally agree that Target should change their corporate policy. Women breastfeeding their children is less offensive than the lingerie section.

18. Dana says:

While the corporate use of the word discretely is unnecessary, our local target stores are breastfeeding friendly. I often have nursed in the garden furniture section inside the store. Very comfy, pillows to use, and friendly employees. (East county San Diego, CA)

I feel bad for the victim in the article, and for Stag, who also had the issue twice. Locally in general, I have found that I make a bigger deal in my mind about nursing in public, than has ever been made by anyone else. I think, at least that means public taboo on the subject is starting to disappear. I agree with the prrvios poster though, I imagine the attitude is quite regional.

19. michelle says:

Well, if they can’t intimidate women into quitting breastfeeding, then who is going to buy all that formula on their shelves?

• lawyermom17 says:

EXACTLY what I was thinking Michelle! I have purchased more than one nursing cover from Target (both for myself, and as gifts), and have also purchased breast pump attachments, extra bottles, storage bags, breast pads, nursing tanks, and other nursing related supplies… but what I paid for all of that combined isn’t even close to the profit Target would have made off me if I had purchased formula from them for the 21 months I BF my daughter.

It’s disgusting and horrific, but until formula is no longer the giant money-maker it is, stores like Target will continue to have a financial incentive to bully mothers out of breastfeeding.

• Jenny says:

It seems to me that this is an instance of Target employees being both uninformed about their own (admittedly flawed) corporate policy and uncomfortable with breastfeeding, rather than a Target-formula company conspiracy. Not everything is a coordinated attempt to force formula on breastfeeding babies. I nurse my newborn at Target all the time and never have anyone bother me.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Haha, yes, it’s a huge “Target Conspiracy.” They are going to harrass breast feeding women in order to sell formula. Are you serious? Please! Maybe, just maybe they sell formula for women that have chosen to bottle feed their children. Just a thought.

• katie says:

disgusting and horrific??? come on now…everyone seems so dramatic on this website! I save my descriptions of “disgusting and horrific” for ppl like murderers, child abusers etc…

20. Jessica says:

To the previous poster who wondered about sitting on the floor… Maybe she had other options at Target but I was recently nursing my newborn on the floor of babyGap because there was no other place to sit down. My mother was shopping and showing me items for my 2 children while I sat on the floor and nursed. An employee was helping us at the time, getting something off of a mannequin in the size we needed, etc. At no point was I harrassed, asked to move or otherwise treated poorly. In fact the salesperson looked me in the eye, spoke to me and smiled. It didn’t matter to her that I chose not to go to the other side of the store to nurse in the dressing rooms and it should not have mattered to the Target employees where this mother chose to nurse her baby either. Again, the law says we have the right to nurse anywhere the mother has the right to be, which includes the jeans display.

21. As I was writing my blog ( http://anurturingmoment.blogspot.com/2011/12/target-stores-target-nursing-momsagain.html ) about this yesterday, I called the Target corporate number listed above. After putting me on hold for a moment, the very polite representative came back and said, “Guests who choose to nurse in our stores are welcome to do so without being made to feel uncomfortable.” She added that if they may nurse anywhere in the store they wish, and if they choose to use a dressing room, they may do so without being made to feel rushed.

I suggest that we see how they respond on the 28th. If a single nursing mother anywhere is made to feel uncomfortable, I would love to see breastfeeding mothers everywhere refuse to purchase any breastfeeding items at all from Target. They are a major retailer of Medela and Bravado items. I really hope that won’t be necessary, but if it is, then so be it!

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Better yet! Maybe they could shop somewhere else all together!! Maybe other shopper’s and store employee’s wouldn’t have to put up with them flopping out their boobs, listen to their hungry screaming children (who could have been fed prior to shopping I might add), and sitting in strange places in the store. I for one don’t want to have to step over someone that is sitting in the middle of a store, on the floor to breast feed their child. Go somewhere else. Please. I love Target and so does everyone else. I will continue to shop there and so will everyone else.

22. Heidi says:

Unfortunately, I disagree with the complaint against Target. It is just as easy for a nursing mother to excuse herself to a private area (fitting room, etc) to nurse her child. As a mother myself, I do take offense to women who feel that they can nurse whereever they want. I do not need to see that everywhere I go. Somnetimes the corporations are not thinking about the one who is nursing, they are thinking about the others that are walking by.

• Melissa Cline says:

Fortunately, the law is on the mother and baby’s side. Her actual legal right to nurse where she is otherwise authorized to be is not trumped by your imaginary right to never be offended.

• emma says:

Or heaven forbid, your right to not be in a dangerous situation when you come around the corner with your shopping cart and run into this mother and her bundle of joy.

• jackie says:

you don’t need to see that everywhere you go? whats wrong with a baby eating? others that are walking by need to think of the hungry baby and get over themselves.

• Audrey says:

Get used to it Heidi!!!! Nursing Mothers are NOT going away!!!! I DON”T like to see Mothers bottle feeding their babies in public and think THAT should be done in the dressing room so I don’t have to see IT. But I know some Mothers will bottlefeed their babies for whatever reason they have and anywhere they want. AND breastfeeding Mothers, and their BABIES, have the same rights

• Bettina Forbes, CLC says:

I understand how you feel. I used to be uncomfortable seeing women nurse in public, even after I had my child and was nursing myself. Eventually I realized that breastfeeding in public was no different than seeing someone in gym clothes and sneakers; it used to be unusual and talked about, but now it is not only accepted but celebrated and applauded as that person is doing something healthy! Now I love to see mama and babies nursing because I know they are overcoming Booby Traps and doing something that benefits all of us, and the more everyone sees it, the more we will all get comfortable with it. With help from celebrities, public health campaigns, the medical community, and everyday moms, some day breastfeeding will be just as accepted as working out. –Bettina Forbes, Co-Founder, Best for Babes

• MooMom says:

It’s about as silly as saying to a cow nursing their calf in an open pasture to cover up because “I do not need to see that everywhere I go”.
      People need to get over their hang-ups about breast feeding. If you don’t like it, don’t look!

• Stacy Conrad says:

FYI Heidi: I was denied a fitting room, so what would your solution to that be?

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Feed your child BEFORE you shop, or buy a breast pump, or feed your child in your car, or go in the restroom, or plan your shopping day around your child’s feeding schedule. Really! If I’m shopping and want to use the fitting room to try something on, I certainly do not feel as though I should have to wait in line for you to feed your child. Plan your day around your child and don’t expect your infant to plan their day around your shopping day.

• Momof2 says:

I do plan my day around my kids. That’s why I feed them whenever they’re hungry. Bah on the pumps, and nursing before or after shopping. It doesn’t work that way in real life. Especially if you have multiple kids. I agree with you in that I wouldn’t just plop down in the middle of a store on the floor. I wouldn’t sit down on the floor for any reason because it’s just weird. I’m a very modest person so I use a nursing cover. Since it’s not worth walking a 1/2 mile to get to a cafe or kids play area or dressing room with a crying baby… I’ve walked around nursing while shopping. Ideal? No. Appropriate? Yes, because I don’t attract attention to myself.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Absolutely. Sadly, I think that many of these women are just trying to prove a point. They want a pat on the back for being such “good mom’s” or something. They are looking for affirmation, attention, something that they are not getting. Feed your children before you shop or do it in private. I for one do not care to see it while I shop. I love Target and will shop there even more if they choose not to.

• HBACingmama says:

“Target stores have a million places to sit”

Maybe yours does. I’ve been in multiple Targets and there are no places to sit except in the very front of the store next to the bathroom, or in the cafe (also in front by the doors.) If I were in the back half of the store you can bet I wouldn’t be hiking all the way back to the front of the store. And if a woman were sitting on the floor, it’s no more a fire hazard than a shopping cart sitting there while someone perused the racks. As long as there is a clear path to get to a door, that’s all that matters.

23. Kristi says:

I nursed my newborn son this past summer in my local Houston area Target with no cover and no issues from employees. I sat in one of the chairs in the garden section. This is not all Target employees and NOT all Houston area Targets!

24. emma says:

Wow, this is spoken like a true “Mommy” with blinders on. Just because YOU think something is okay doesn’t mean everyone else does. Just because YOU are comfortable with it doesn’t mean everyone else is. This woman could have just as easily gone into a dressing room, but instead plops down in the floor. What a society of instant gratification-driven people some of us have become.

• Nikki Ausdemore says:

Yes, breastfed babies are used to instant gratification. Thank God! A hungry baby shouldn’t have to wait while mom treks half way across the store and lugs herself, her baby, and all of her stuff into a fitting room before eating. It’s not like she “plopped” herself down in the middle of the aisle. She went to a quiet place in the women’s department to feed her starving baby. BTDT. I fed my hungry baby in the toy department while my other 2 quietly checked out the toys. It made for a much more successful shopping trip with all 4 of us happy and content. Isn’t that the goal of shopping with children in tow?

• Danielle says:

“starving baby” lets not be ridiculous here. The baby was hungry, not “starving”.

• emma says:

Agreed. “Starving?” So if this mother had taken the extra few steps to the dressing room this child would have not survived? And yes she did PLOP herself down in a place that was not meant for sitting. I really think you ladies are reaching and complaining about an issue that is so far down the totem pole of problems in this world.

• Emma says:

I meant YOU want instant gratification, not the baby. I seriously doubt this “starving baby” would have died if she waited the extra 30 seconds to walk to a dressing room.

No kidding!

25. Nicole says:

REALLY Emma? What “mommy” doesn’t have blinders on for the rights of their screaming, starving baby??? I think they’re lucky she didn’t life her shirt and feed the baby wherever she was, without stopping to “plop down on the floor” because if it were MY screaming baby, that’s what I would have done. Other people’s comfort be damned.

My biggest issue with people being offended by breastfeeding, is that they wouldn’t think twice about someone walking around feeding their baby a bottle.

I have personally nursed in Target walking through the aisles with my baby in a carrier, and sitting in the starbucks, and sitting in a chair in the furniture section. I have never been confronted. But I’m tempted to go walk around Target nursing my almost-1-year-old (gymnurstics, anyone?) while I shop, without my typical “tank top under my shirt to create the least exposure possible” arrangement.

Really, most of us nursing moms try to be considerate of others. But anyone who thinks THEIR rights are more important than my hungry baby’s is sorely mistaken.

• Amber says:

Nicole, i completely agree with you on this one. It angers me that its ok for moms to walk around with bottles of “formula” (and before everyone gets upset yes i realize some bf’ing moms use bottles with expressed milk) and its perfectly fine, but when a mom is giving her baby the absolute best thing made, Mothers Milk, She gets harrassed for it. I wonder what would be done if someone harrased a bottle-feeding mom? And told a mom that was buying formulat about all the negative impacts it puts on her baby?
      Regardless of the above, I have 7 children total, My latest two are 3 month old twins, And let me just say that when we are all out somewheres and the babies start fussing they get fed. And if my 10 yr old son thinks its completely normal to breastfeed a baby then anyone else should too…After all we don’t make cows go into barns to nurse their babies etc…

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Amber, don’t compare yourself to a cow. Also, if you have that many children your 10 year old has probably been exposed to your breast feeding for a long time. It doesn’t mean that everyone else wants to be exposed to it.

• Jessica says:

I would ask that breastfeeding mamas be a little bit nicer to those women who have honestly articulated a contrary view. Just because something is a law, doesn’t mean everyone has to agree with it… there will always be those who don’t agree. You will convince people of the merits of your opinion if you respond better than I have seen a lot of people do in this discussion here and on other threads.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

Really Nicole?? Why do you choose to take your child shopping when they are “starving?” If you have to take the time “in the store” to feed your child, WHY don’t you just feed them Prior to your shopping? Give me a break! AND, as a shopper, I guarantee you that if “my comfort be damned,” I will probably make your little breast feeding adventure a little uncomfortable also. If you want to invite the rude comments and rude behavior, expect it when it comes. I certainly would not back down, for the record.

• HBACingmama says:

YES! Because breastfeeding mothers should never leave their homes! How dare they go out in public where their child might have an “unscheduled” need to feed or be comforted? *insert eyeroll*

I see more breast exposure on women with skanky shirts than I do with any nursing mother I’ve ever been around. How about you attack the fashion industry, and those Victoria Secrets adds? Breasts are for feeding. You’re an adult. If you don’t like it…Don’t. Look. Pretty simple solution for your issue.

• MT says:

Why does Michelle feel the need to reply to every comment? Who is she to try to tell breast feeding Moms what to do, where or where not to shop, and how to feed their kids? Michelle, it’s NOT all about you, you being inconvenienced, or your comfort. Just wait until YOU are a Mom – boy, will you have a rude awakening!

I applaud all Moms who choose to breast feed their children. I encourage them to continue to do so.

Michelle, PLEASE get a life and grow up! Thank you!

• emma says:

“Other people’s comfort be damned.” Are you serious? So the next time something in my life may inconvenience YOU, I’ll remember this quote.

26. Julie says:

Wait for one minute…Did anyone fact check this story? I did a little research, and found this story on only 2 websites, both appear to be very pro breastfeeding sites. This woman contacted this website and gave this story.I checked 6 local Houston news sites, and there was nothing about this at all. How do you know this isn’t some disgruntled employee or customer? How do you know this is even real at all? Plus, she is SITTING ON THE FLOOR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SHOPPING AREA! Why on earth would you sit there to do anything at all? If this story is even real, then all she was just looking for attention. If the baby had a poop, would you lay him down in the pants section, change him, have your friend take a picture, and then contact the pro-public diaper changing website? This lady is looking for trouble, if this story is even real.

• Michelle Lazarov says:

I am convinced she was hoping that someone would trip over her so she could sue the store. Give me a break! Who in their right mind would sit on a dirty floor in the middle of a busy store to breast feed their child! She wanted attention, or to just cause trouble. I will most definitely continue to shop at Target. I also agree with what you just wrote. This woman may have made the whole thing up for all we know. I would like to hear from the employee’s that “supposedly” were so rude to her. I’d like to hear their side.

• Charissa says:

I couldn’t agree more…seems like more and more people are looking to find an easy way to make some quick money and sitting on a floor to be stepped on would be an easy lawsuit for some easy money.

• katie says:

thank you for this comment!!! believe it or not, i am pro-breastfeeding…what these ppl on here are freaking fanatics!!!! breastfeeding is a special private moment between mother and baby- not an entire clothing section of target!

27. karen says:

I have worked for Target decades and we all have been trained for decades to offer the family fitting room to a nursing mother if she asks, (not the bathroom) and its not our job to ask a woman to cover up if she chooses to nurse publicly, no matter if we get complaints from other guests.

Come on ladies, do you realize how DIRTY the floors and carpets are in a retail store that literally has thousands of people walking on it? Plus, putting yourselves down below eye level is just asking for someone not paying attention, to run into you or your baby!!!! Walk and nurse or take a seat in a chair!

28. Amber says:

After reading most of the responses. I completely agree that the employees need to be educated. But here is another suggestion…. Why dont we push for Target/walmart/wherever to install a “nursing area” maybe a small room with some chairs in it? Something that would help both… Target would get massive exposure for being breastfeeding friendly, and moms would get a nice place to nurse without fearing getting trampled over or told no. Just an idea. I understand that nursing is allowed anywheres and that we all have the freedom to nurse. And quite honestly should be able to hurse anywheres and the more it happens, the more “normal” it will become. But also, I think, it would help all the new breastfeeding moms to have a place to sit and comfortable nurse their babies, toddlers etc.

• Maegan says:

B/c then they would EXPECT you to ALWAYS use that. Some mothers can easily nurse & shop. Using a sling, or holding their baby…they can walk around, one hand on baby, one hand pushing the cart…And be just fine. And THEN it would really become an issue. “BUT…BUT we made this comfortable nursing room for you! GO SIT IN IT!” …No, I’m okay walking around. “BUT WE MADE A ROOM FOR IT!!!”

29. Emma says:

Nicole, yes REALLY. You proved my point beautifully. I’m not saying a mother shouldn’t feed her hungry baby. But why do you have to do it on a filthy floor when there is a place provided? And why can’t you just follow the rules? Doesn’t sound like she was far from the fitting room. So what is the problem? The baby has to wait an extra 2 minutes to eat? I think next time I have hypoglycemia I’ll run to the cafe and get a pizza and then eat it in the middle of the lingerie department because I’m hungry right NOW.

Megan, you just said it: “Retail spaces are made for shopping. Turning it in to a rest stop instead changes the flow of their business.”

You’re in a STORE. Breatfeeding or not, have some decorum.

• Noira says:

Here’s the thing. She was following the rules, the rules as in the law the gives her the right to breastfeed in anyplace she is otherwise authorized to be. Her rights were being infringed upon. There is nothing about breastfeeding that needs to be hidden. And if you have hypoglycemia why would you go to the pizza place and the wait until you got back over to the shopping area to the pizza? No if you were about to get sick from hypoglycemia you would sit down wherever you had the food and eat it. I know that I have this problem and carry food with me in my purse for emergency’s and if I start to feel like I’m going to be sick and pass out DAMN RIGHT I’m going to sit down right in the middle of whatever department I’m in and eat and no one would judge me. In fact I’ve had people bring me a chair to sit in. When breasts are involved people get squeamish breasts are culturally seen solely as sexual objects for the purpose of pleasing men. We freak out and don’t know how to act when we see breasts being used in the way they were intended to be used. And no one would have batted an eye at an infant drinking a bottle in any department.

• Emma says:

No. You’re missing the point. I WOULDN’T plop down in the floor. It isn’t even about the naked boob, its about MANNERS.

• emma says:

I have the right to do lots of things. It doesn’t mean its using good judgement or manners.

Stop being so entitled. And hypoglycemia was an example, but that is a health condition, not a baby having to wait an extra 60 seconds for a feeding.

30. AnnS says:

I believe the law in TX is that a mother’s right is to nurse anywhere, and that may be the jeans section of Target. Whether or not someone else thinks she ought to be in a dressing room or under a cover or in the cafe or walking around is irrelevant – this mother has this right to feed her baby, period. (now, where I live, we do NOT have this law…yet) If it offends someone, they can move to another aisle. When we talk about breastfeeding rates from a public health standpoint, there’s not a state in the union that doesn’t have as a core mission to encourage BF – for prevention of obesity, SIDS, infant mortality, etc. It would save millions of dollars if every baby were BF til he/she were a year old. But to do that we have to encourage mothers – and we have to do it in their everyday life. Need to shop? Fine. Need to eat out while you’re there? fine, too. Unless and until we can turn the tide, mothers will be intimidated to not nurse in public, and this hurts BF duration rates and in turn, our babies & communities as a whole. It’s a very big picture, and Target is particularly a part of that (who doesn’t love shopping at Target??!!)

• Monday says:

Is it any citizens RIGHT to plop down and sit on the selling floor of a store? That is the issue NOT about the breastfeeding. The employees made it about breastfeeding.

Is it a fire safety violation for customers to sit on the floor? Likely it is, and the company needs to train the employees to speak intelligently and say that, and not say it’s breastfeeding issue, but a fire safety violation if that is the case.

Unless Target routinely lets other customers sit on their selling floor and only stopped this mother from doing so because she was “breastfeeding” then this is a tempest in a teapot?

Lets reserve our outrage for real violations against our right to nurse in public.

• Noira says:

If that were the issue then why did the employee barricade the walkway with the cart? If that really were the problem that is the employees fault for not communicated that to her. And this is not to mention that the person in the corporate office that she spoke to did not make it about fire safety but about breastfeeding. This IS about women’s right to breastfeed.

31. Monday says:

Why don’t employees learn to explain that the issue is about people?
    *sitting on the floor* instead making it about breastfeeding. We can breastfeed anywhere we want, but I wonder about the safety and legalities of any customer being allowed to sit by a rack of clothes on the selling floor.

32. Carol Townson says:

The piece about the breastfeeding mom who was confronted in a Houston area Target store made me mad. I am a Lactation Consultant in the Houston area. I have already emailed the Target corporation about this, and have told them that I will not shop at Target anymore (I love my area Target). Perhaps if the Target corporation got lots of emails about this, they would reconsider their position. If anyone is interested in emailing, the information is: Gregg.Steinhafel@target.com

• Michelle Lazarov says:

I will continue to shop at Target, again, even more if I don’t have to be exposed to someone breast feeding their child there. Do it in private. Thank you for posting the above email address however. I wanted to email them and let them know how offensive it is to see someone breastfeeding in public, especially when there are private places provided. Again, thank you. Target did NOTHING wrong here.

• Donna says:

I agree. I am a mother of 6, and have 9 grandkids. This should be done in private. Even in our home and when we go to our kids home if one of our grandkids need feeding my daughter-in-laws will and have gone into one of the bedrooms. And no this is not a family friendly act. She should of gone into the dressing room to feed her baby. Target was right.

33. Dana says:

Get over yourselves people. I think this has more to do with someone sitting on the floor of a busy retail store, during the beginning of the peak shopping season rather than an attack on a breastfeeding mother. Not every incident of someone being asked to move while breastfeeding is an “attack” on breastfeeding itself. I think you all are looking for a reason to get your panties in a wad.

34. paula says:

I’m not against breastfeeding at all.I breastfed my youngest daughter and my oldest breastfed hers as well. I think there were better places to feed the baby though. I myself didn’t care to do it in public and there aren’t that many comfortable places to do so anyway. I’ve had to do it in restrooms and fitting rooms and frankly, I think it would have been more quiet and comfortable for both mom and baby if she had gone to the fitting room to begin with. Now I am not condoning the treatment that the Target employees gave her. They should have just left her alone, but she drew attention to herself by refusing to move. I think I would have avoided the confrontation to begin with and just moved. I know I will hear back lashing from some, but both were in the wrong in my opinion.

35. Renae says:

I’m a mother of four. I breastfed all of them. I have breastfed in fitting rooms many times. However, when in a restaurant I would simply sit where I was at the table and use a cover. I was never harassed, but I did get plenty of looks. I’m extremely modest, but when you baby is hungry you feed them whether it’s by breast or by bottle. I totally support breastfeeding in public, when I see a mom feeding her child in public I commend them for doing so. I tell them they are doing a beautiful thing exactly how God designed us to do. Keep it up and don’t be embarrassed or ashamed. If someone harasses you get a manager immediately. Face to face world better than phone conversations, and always get a name.
    Breastfeeding is beautiful!!!

• Bettina Forbes, CLC says:

I hope you will pause, for a minute, and consider that “lactivists” are putting pressure on the barriers that made breastfeeding so difficult for your wife. Too many women are suffering through painful and anguish-filled breastfeeding experiences and it is not their fault. At Best for Babes, we stand for all moms being able to make the decision on infant feeding that is best for them, and do a lot of work to support moms who can not breastfeed. It would be great if you would support that instead of telling lactivists to calm down. If you take the time to understand what the barriers truly are, I think you will see that your energy needs to be directed towards the booby traps, not moms who are advocating that women receive better medical care in the hospital and from physicians and nurses, and advocating for more tolerance and acceptance in the workplace and in public.

• DadCAMP says:

The barriers that made breastfeeding difficult for my wife had nothing to do with things you can solve. Flat nipples and small breasts arent solved by a gaggle of women beating their breasts in a Target.

For some people it just doesnt work. And that’s okay. Stop the hate.

• Bettina Forbes, CLC says:

It is unfortunate that you both didn’t see an excellent IBCLC (or more than one, if necessary), I wouldn’t be surprised if nobody suggested it to you. Many women with flat nipples and small breasts successfully breastfeed; from a medical standpoint, nipple shape and breast size have little impact on breastfeeding ability. It is, however, possible that your wife did not get help getting off to a good start, as only 4% of all hospitals follow proper protocol for lactation management–and that is truly a shame. It is also possible that she has Insufficient Glandular Tissue, a rare but devastating condition that can greatly reduce a woman’s ability to nurse. My point is that rather than taking your anger out at advocates, you might want to explore the real reasons your wife wasn’t able to nurse–so many mothers feel such anguish and grief over not being able to breastfeed when it’s not their fault, and understanding the cause can be healing and freeing! She has our full support (and kudos for trying) and as some one who used formula I fully stand behind every mother’s decision to feed her baby as she sees fit. I also stand behind her right to find out why she wasn’t able to achieve her personal goals. There’s no hate over here, only education. 🙂

36. Tim Hoffman says:

Michelle Hickman is a liar. Never happened as she claims. She was sitting in the floor blocking traffic on a busy shopping day and the employees had every right to ask her to move. She is self absorbed and needs to grow up.

37. Lila says:

This is beyond ridiculous. Breasts are for feeding babies. I find poorly behaved children and people who scream at their kids offensive. Also, people who walk around with half their bodies hanging out of their clothes for no reason, nose pickers, people who don’t use good hygiene, people who talk loudly on cell phones, etc… the list of truly offensive stuff goes on and on…Breastfeeding is not offensive or indecent. Get real, Target.

38. christie roberts says:

I would like to say bravo the the mom who reported this. I don’t shop at target, never will. I give Walmart our business. I am a mom of 2 and nursed both of my children. I have nursed in public at Walmart,in the lawn and garden section, sitting on a glider that was on sale in a patio set. I made sure I was comfortable, when mommy is relaxed and comfy, baby is relaxed and the milk flows better. Employees looked. Customers looked. I was completely covered. Nobody said a word. As a matter of fact a few women walked by and smiled at me, which encouraged me. Walmart IS a family store and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks Walmart for educating your employees about us hardworking, nursing moms. p.s. I nursed my second child until he was 3.

• trish says:

yea for walmart and yea for you for thinking that because you choose to breastfeed that you can sit and do it whereevr you damn well please with little regard to anyone else around you..

39. Michele Rowe says:

Okay Americans we need to get our priorities straight! A third infant has died from bacteria in formula, while a mother was told that it was not okay to breastfeed her baby in a Target store. Why do Americans have a problem with something that is so natural and healthy?!

40. Judi says:

While I chose to bottle feed my daughter instead of breastfeeding, I support any mother who chooses to breastfeed. This woman was totally covered up, and by the Target employees harassing her, THEY are the ones who made a scene. Probably none of the shoppers would have even known what she was doing, and therefore would not have complained to anyone. The Target employees practically held up a neon sign pointing to this poor mother saying “breastfeeding happenening.” You can’t control when your baby is going to wake up hungry. She is trying to take care of and provide nutrition for her child, and doing it VERY discreetly, and this is what she gets for it? Honestly, who was this mother hurting by feeding her child???

• Bettina Forbes, CLC says:

Bravo. Thank you for your support and for setting a great example. It is our hope that bottle-feeding, formula-feeding, donor-milk-feeding and breast-feeding mothers can someday link arms to support all parents’ rights to feed their babies as they see fit, without pressure, judgment or guilt.

• Judi says:

I hope we can see that too because too often I hear breatfeeding moms “condemn” formula or bottle feeding moms because they aren’t breastfeeding. It’s a mother’s choice on how she feeds her child, and as long as her child is getting the nutrition and food that the child needs, then that’s the important issue.

• Danielle says:

Why should she be allowed to plonk herself down and whip her breast out. She could have found a changing room or something. Exhibitionist.

41. Charissa says:

This is like saying it’s ok for my child that is being potty trained to just pull it out and pee any where outside…wrong! I have already had to do it bcuz I had my other 2 children with me and knew he would not make it and have had glares from others…I apologized because it is NOT appropriate. Let’s stop having excuses for everything in life and just respect others…point is, breastfeeding is a mother/child bonding moment and should be kept in private.

42. Marko Jaric says:

Michelle fails to remotely acknowledge that she does not have the right to just sit down “Indian Style” in the middle of a walk way at a public facility (i.e. store). That is called loitering, and likely violates fire codes. The target employees clearly handled the situation poorly, but people can’t just plop down wherever and whenever they feel like it. It is rude to inconvenient to other shoppers.

• katie says:

well said, sure breastfeeding mothers have rights, but they are not above the law and cant expect to do whatever they want, whenever they want- because guess what, others have rights too!

43. T says:

I was unable to breast feed. I think part of me wanted to and part me wanted to because I knew my mom had and felt like I should and I tried after having my son but I never felt like he was getting anything didn’t latch on good and I unfortunately have overendowed size breasts. Never did the hospital ask me if I wanted a lactation specialist and I was crying worrying that my child wasn’t getting anything. The nurse while my mom was out of the room told me that she would support me no matter what I decided but that it was MY baby and it was MY choice how to feed. I decided to go with formula and I never regretted it as I felt my baby was getting what he needed and my milk never did come in like other people I knew that had to dry up their milk never anything from me so I think something didn’t work right. I did appreciate the nurse in supporting me in whatever decision I made. My mom wasn’t thrilled with me but she got over it. Having said that, I think that any woman that wants to breastfeed in public should be allowed. I do prefer a cover be use but I know it’s not required. I think that the lady was treated wrongly and those staff members at that store should be taught differently on how to react to a woman breastfeeding. It isn’t like she’s wearing shorts that show her rearend or so much breast from a low cut shirt that you see more then from a breastfeeding mother. At my work, breastfeeding mother’s that pump for the daycares etc.. have lactation breaks and are given an office with a cover over the window so they can go in and pump. I think it’s great that my job offers special breaks for things like that.

• Bettina Forbes, CLC says:

Thank you for sharing and thank you for supporting breastfeeding mothers. Best for Babes supports ALL mothers to feed their babies as they see fit, and is working to provide more resources to mothers who can not or decide not to breastfeed. Thank you for raising your voice, it is very much appreciated!

44. Stacie says:

As an employee of many retail stores including Target [and a mother] – this woman was asking for it.

I have never allowed anyone to sit on the floor – no matter their activity. It’s a safety issue. While these employees might have ‘harassed’ her because of her breast feeding [according to her], she should not have been on the floor. I have asked many, many people to get off the floor [funny, none were breast feeding and most reacted as if they had a right to do whatever they wanted]. Target is breast-feeding friendly, as many mothers here have mentioned.

Many mentioned how disgusting it is to feed in the restroom – any idea how dirty those floors are? Question, if someone had tripped over her and hurt her or her baby would she now be suing Target? Or what about the person who tripped over her?

This story is less about breast feeding than it is about a woman who is acting like a child and mad that someone called her on it. She and those ‘offended’ by this are making the rest of the breast feeding mothers out to be a bunch of loonies. [Offense is taken, not given].

45. trish says:

OK so don’t shop at target ever again,that will hurt, have some class and make the bonding time of nursing your baby a little more important then sitting on a filthy sales floor waiting for someone or something to run into u so you can sue, not ever work again, and be the perfect role model for your children. exactly what this world is coming to what a friggin joke…got her 10min of fame, will probably show up on every talk show to cry about how she was embarassed and humiliated the new american way…bravo to you mom

46. Danielle says:

In my opinion she needs to grow the heck up. Yes, she is entitled to breastfeed. However she was breastfeeding on the shop floor. Disgusting, not clean for her, the baby or anyone else.

She was quite clearly attention seeking. What would have been so difficult about going to the changing rooms?

Seriously, women like her make me glad I chose to bottle feed.

47. Stephanie says:

As a woman, I think we should breastfeed whereever and whenever possible. And as an added bonus, we should often show the nearby men in the area a little bit of the breast as well as maybe some nipple here and there. I also believe us women (under 30 or under 40 with fake breasts) should be allowed to go topless in public. Thanks!

48. Kelly says:

I was in Target last yr in Norman Ok with a new born sitting in a shopping cart in the middle of the clothing racks nursing & an employee came & covered me & told me to go to the dressing room. She said “we ladies are modest”. I kept nursing & she just stood next to me trying to convince me to go in the fitting room.

• emma says:

That was her polite way of telling you you were making an uncomfortable environment. She was providing you with a perfectly suitable and comfortable solution. But by all means, keep living in your self-absorbed bubble.

49. Michelle Hillaert says:

I just called Target to express my concern about this issue, since I primarily shop at Target… needless to say, I’m COMPLETELY irritated and think I may have to find another place to shop… as much as I dislike shopping at Wal-Mart… ugh.

The lady on the phone… a supervisor in the guest relations department told me that there was only ONE employee that asked Michelle if she would like to breastfeed in a more private place. She said there were not other employees involved and that it was an exaggeration… “You know how these things can be blown out of proportion…” (not in those EXACT words… but close enough…). She did say that Target is ‘breastfeeding-friendly’ and another employee I spoke with said they had a special ‘breastfeeding’ seminar to address this particular issue.

What irritated me the most, was the fact that instead of just simply stating that they had addressed the issue with the employee and apologizing… She said they addressed it with the employee and then went on to basically refute the rest of the account given by Michelle.

When I realized that I forgot to get this employee’s name, I called Target back, and they had not taken my name or given me a reference number for the first phone call, so I was unable to retrieve it. Regardless… I’m a breastfeeding mom, and granted… I don’t like to ever breastfeed in public places unless I have too… and this is the exact reason why. UGH…

Target… you just completely disillusioned me. Thanks.