This is the ninth in a series of posts on Booby Traps™ in pregnancy, made possible by the generous support of Motherlove Herbal Company.
For the last three months I’ve been writing about the institutional Booby Traps™ we may encounter in pregnancy.
Fortunately, if you’re pregnant and want to beat these Booby Traps, there’s a lot you can do to give yourself the best chances at meeting your breastfeeding goals.
Much of this list is based on powerful research about what supports and what sabotages breastfeeding during the prenatal period. We hope you can use it to beat the Booby Traps™ in your pregnancy!
Checklist for beating the institutional Booby Traps™ in pregnancy:
– Choose a prenatal care provider who will talk about breastfeeding during your visits.
– Choose a prenatal care provider who does not distribute formula company samples or literature
– Plan for a breastfeeding-friendly birth (have a doula or other support person present, learn about non-drug pain relief techniques, learn your OB/midwife and hospital’s induction, epidural, and c-section rates)
– Take a great breastfeeding class.
– Read a great breastfeeding book.
For a comprehensive checklist on what to do during pregnancy, check out Best for Babes’ Ultimate Breastfeeding Preparation Checklist!